Thursday, August 21, 2008

Episode 2: Fat Matt's Rib Shack


First, a little history. This blog was started in part to my negative reaction to a certain barbecue chain that will go unnamed until we get around to doing an actual review. This mystery restaurant is the favorite of one of my bosses. When I finished giving my reasons for
detesting this place ( and in the process probably killing any slim chance for a raise I may have had), he asked me where I thought the best place in Atlanta was. My answer?

Fat Matt's Rib Shack

Now, before you start typing up your emotional rebuttals, Let me remind you he asked me for the best in Atlanta, not the best in the metro area, not the best in the state. There are better barbecue places around, but I have yet to find one in the ATL city limits to top them. That may change in the coming months.

To Be honest, Fat Matt's Rib Shack's specialty is, obviously, ribs. Ribs are not what I judge a barbecue place on. For the purposes of this blog, I'm sticking to the pork sandwich and the brunswick stew, the hamburger and fries of the barbecue world. Fatt Matt's makes an excellent chopped pork sandwich. There's is different than most because they somehow infuse the meat with the sauce, so it comes to you kinda orangish looking, and stays together well. Sauce is also added on top of the meat, as with a regular sandwich you'd get anywhere. I have an admission to make: The sandwich was so good, I didn't even realize it didn't have a pickle on it, which I complained about in my Wallace's review last time. I guess I owe Wallace's a slight apology in that regard. Sandwich: A

The stew at Fat Matt's is also very good. I'd say it was a couple of notches on the rich side, just enough to provoke such a comment, but not enough to effect your enjoyment. It's pleasing to look at as well, not blended into soupy sameness. Stew: A-

Of course, The place itself is an exercise in authenticity. It seems to emanate a wonderful greasy, neon glow, even at 1:00 in the afternoon! It is kinda small, so don't be surprised if you bump a few elbows maneuvering around inside. They have an outside area that handles the overflow from inside very well in the warmer months. If you like to hear the blues played for the pure love of it, Fat Matt's hosts some fine bands at night as well. Decor/ambiance: A

No comments: